It’s my 29th birthday next week! As I am approaching the last year of my twenties, I have been looking back on my life so far AND looking forward!
It’s such a strange age where you can see how much you’ve grown up but also how much of your life you still have ahead of you. As I edge closer to 30, I feel like I should have hit certain milestones by now… some I have achieved and in other areas, I’m so far away from getting there.
That’s ok though, we don’t all need to tick off society’s long list of ‘success factors’ before reaching certain ages.
I am pretty happy being me, and I feel that in itself is a fairly big accomplishment in my twenties!
So let’s have a look at 29 things I have ‘achieved’ so far in life:
The Important Stuff
1. I have lived in two countries so far – Scotland of course and Germany (for 4 years as a child).
2. I become a Mother to my fabulous child (I had him at 19) – and I think I’ve been doing a pretty decent job of bringing him up so far even as a single parent for the majority of the time.
3. I gained a 2:1 honours degree at University, in Event Management (while being a single parent at the same time)
4. I have organised a range of fundraising events, volunteered, donated and worked for charities.
5. I have found a job that I enjoy and one that is meaningful.
6. I have quit a job without having another to go to – now I know this doesn’t sound like an ‘achievement’ but it was somewhere I really wasn’t happy and I think it’s important that we are able to take risks to be happier. This turned out to be a really good thing for me.
7. I have voted – although I am certainly not as clued up as I could be in politics though!
8. I have fallen in and out of love – although it is safe to say I have been no where near finding ‘the one’ (despite a brief engagement!)
9. I have lived on my own (with my son) for all of my twenties
10. I am on the organ donor register – We don’t need them when we’re gone, but someone else might!
The Fun Stuff
11. I have several tattoos – I have always loved tattoos and couldn’t wait to get one on my 18th birthday. I now have almost a full sleeve amongst others!
12. I have visited various tourist spots in the UK, France, Germany, Austria, Holland….
13. I have completed a charity Fire walk and almost did a bungee jump (I made it to the top, panicked and came back down!!)
14. I tried the online dating thing (still not convinced it’s for me though!)
15. I’ve started a blog (obviously!) and I’m really loving it!
16. I have been in the Newspaper a few times (for work, events I’ve organised or fundraising activities)
17. I’ve attended various live music concerts and fun events including seeing Bon Jovi, Nickelback & Paramore perform live to name a few.
18. I have taken part in (and organised) a 5k colour run
19. Dyed my hair a range of colours and then grown to accept (and actually love) my natural hair colour (strawberry blonde).
20. I was vegetarian for one month (for Cancer Research UK fundraising)
21. I was a flag bearer in the opening song for The Script Aberdeen concert, marching in with the band! A little claim to fame!
23. Sang karaoke, taken dance lessons, been horse riding, enjoyed roller coasters and much more!
The Things I’ve Learned
24. Being close to leaving your twenties isn’t a bad scary thing… It’s an accomplishment and something to be thankful for. Not everyone gets to reach that age and that’s heartbreaking.
25. Life may not always go the way you expect but that doesn’t need to be a bad thing… Sometimes the unplanned moments are the absolute best thing that can happen!
26. I may not have a lot of money but between being a Mum to an awesome little boy and doing meaningful work for others in the charity sector… I have a pretty rewarding life 🙂
27. We should all value our experiences and loved ones over material possessions… money and ‘things’ alone don’t make us happy!
28. Kindness, empathy & gratitude are fantastic qualities that I love and admire.
29. You do not need to ‘have your sh*t together’, be a ‘proper’ grown up or know what the hell you are doing just because you hit a certain age.